Friday, October 15, 2010

The Mirror Likes Humor

I may not be the most fashionable person, ok maybe my friends would beg to differ, but seriously the fashion of LDS culture can be mind boggling.  The fashion of LDS Utah culture can be even more eventful in the mind boggling category.  Although who am I to judge I mean I’m not a certain person with the last name of Klum telling people that they are “in” or “out.”  Needless to say the following all is "out" in my book.
While I understand the importance of self expression and so forth I also understand the term, “too much.”  I don’t think a great deal of people have learned that word yet from the physical evidence I have gathered with my own two eyes in church.  
Exhibit A:  Two weeks ago I was in my “college age ward” and it was brought to my attention by my friend that the guy in front and to the left of us appeared to have on suspenders.  There is NOTHING wrong with suspenders.  In fact I own a few pairs of them, the problem lies in the way he wore them.  He wore pin stripe pants, a white standard church shirt, vest over the shirt, and then the suspenders were not even on him correctly.  They were hooked to his pants but he had them off his shoulders like he forgot to put them over his arms.  It didn’t stop there either.  Upon further looking we noticed he also had on a white belt, man this explained why he wasn’t properly wearing suspenders.  My translation of his attire:  “Since I love me some Cherry Poppin Daddies and their style I will wear similar things to church.  However I don’t want to look too zoot suited so I will add a belt and some boating shoes giving it a modern casual edge.  Oh man the ladies will dig me today!”
Exhibit B:  In that same meeting my friend and I also noticed the 3 bottle blondes walk in.  They sat in the front row so we never saw their faces, but that wasn’t really needed to understand train wrecks.  In Utah the hair style of most girls falls into the “un-original copy cat look.”  I like to think of it as the “Snooki of the West” look.  These girls had the overly bumped hair, extreme blonde job with intense “Bump It” action going on, the perfect example of ‘Snooki of the West.”  My friend leaned over and simply said, “going up to bare your testimony today would so be worth it if you were able to snap a picture of that.”  Don’t worry we didn’t, but the thought was there.  
and last but not least
 Exhibit C:  This past Sunday I ward shopped and attended a ward where the music leader was wearing the L.D.S. equivalent of stripper shoes.  It paid to sit close to the front, enjoy the visual.


What have you, my readers seen?

Thats all for now, later!

No comments:

Post a Comment