Monday, September 6, 2010

Cushion Your Bum with Family

I lasted for the second week in my new ward, the “college age ward.”  However it was very touch and go.  Not because of testimonies or my bad attitude but from the sheer pain and numbness my butt had to deal with.  While attending church in the L.D.S. Institute building we don’t have soft cushy seats to rest our weary butts on.  Instead we are blessed with them hard, not so cushy, plastic chairs!  
However it was way worse this week!  We had to move rooms as the size of the ward is rather large.  They moved us up to a gym!  Wow smack me on the face and call me lucky!  But seriously I am going to die!  Not only was I in the gym for sacrament but I was blessed with 3 FULL HOURS in the same gym!!!  Sacrament, Sunday School, and Elders Quorum!  What ever did I do the makers of the plastic chair to curse me with this??  Next week I have already decided that I will be bringing a small pillow to rest my wear tush on, I’m sure my “stud” factor will lower but I...don’t...care.  Proper tush maintenance is important to me.
Fast Sunday was just about what I thought.  A lot of under age college kids getting up, (this is an understatement as there are only 5 of us that are from the “post college graduate” ward.)  You almost never know what the “theme” of testimonies will be upon hearing the first two bearings, the third will define the rest of the meeting.  We started out swell hearing once again from “giving a talk” voice guy but...when...you pause...all...the time to...breath...and then...speak...I had just about had it.  You may say I am not being very kind in my words but don’t worry I know this is the main area I need to work on and have begun... *sigh.
Once the third testimony began the theme blasted through the basketball hoop and down the hard wood floor.  “I love my family sooooo much and miss them but I came to school to get away from them.  BUT I still miss them.”  “Emotional Sally” reared her head as she spoke, on how much she loves her roommates and how she get’s so close to them, but that she really really loves her family and does miss them while she is here in town at school and away from them.  A fellow refugee of my former ward shared his testimony and I appreciated it.  He related a dream he shared in my old elders quorum and how he finally understood it.  It was a complete revelation to him how we older people were in these new wards for a divine purpose to carry those that are tired and broken across the “rough waters” on our shoulders like they did in pioneer days across the Sweet Water River.  I was humbled by this testimony and dream.  Yes I won’t lie when I say I had a HORRIBLE attitude about these changes.  I will say thought that each day a little bit of me begins to fully understand the reason I am there.
Although I better not end up with a calling in the Elders Quorum, I don’t think they would understand me, such an understatement :-)
Oh and on a final note, in Elders Quorum I sat through a “spotlight.”  Each week someone new stands up in front and talks about them self.  Then the floor is open and all get to ask a question.  I am already planning my “spotlight,”  they might end them after that. ;-)
Enjoy the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment